Saturday 17 November 2018

Nak Thickening Shampoo and Conditioner - A review


When I thought about getting back into blogging and writing I wasn't thinking about doing reviews again too but blogging is usually inspired from what's happening in your everyday life and for the past few months, a lot of my thoughts have been on my hair...or the decreasing amount of it, to be specific.

After having Zia last October, I experienced the 'normal' post pregnancy hair loss but this time around, it hasn't stopped falling out. I've chalked it down to Breastfeeding hormones and the severe lack of sleep which of course triggers my anxiety. My hair (and my self-esteem), I felt, was in need of some much needed TLC. With that, I decided to splash out on some quality hair products.


What made me buy this product?

I'm going to be 100% honest. I had never heard of these products before but someone I follow on Instagram (who has real experience of hair loss) mentioned that if they ever went through the same thing again, they would try these products. She posted a link to where they could be purchased from. It's an Irish hairdressers, Pelo hairdressing so I thought perfect, I'll give this product a go and even better that it's being delivered from just down the road so I won't have to wait too long.


Delivery

I ordered the set on Sunday expecting it to arrive by Tuesday. I knew they wouldn't get the order until Monday but was guessing next day delivery. Tuesday came and went. I bought items online from the UK also on that Sunday and they arrived on the Wednesday. Still no sign of my Pelo order. I emailed the company to ask about delivery times but heard nothing back. I was pissed off because I was trying to hold off washing my hair thinking the new shampoo was going to arrive any minute. On Thursday I finally caved and bought a different shampoo/conditioner locally. Good thing I did as the Nak products didn't arrive until Friday at 4pm. The salon is less then an hour from where I live so that kind of delivery times just doesn't work for me. I know we are living in an age where we expect things yesterday and that's not always possible but 5 full working days for delivery is an absolute no no from me.

Obviously if you are ordering from them, check delivery times for where you live. This could have been a once off oversight on their part.



The Product

I'm going to cut to the chase here. This product did not work for me and I will tell you the main reason why. I was searching the market for something nourishing (only) and what I mean by that is, I wanted a product that was all about making the hair healthy. What I wasn't looking for was an artificial thickening shampoo/conditioner/leave in spray. In my opinion, that's what this is. Yes, it ticks the boxes for ingredients that are healthy for your scalp and hair but ultimately the goal with this is to make your hair feel like it is thicker. Feel being the operative word.

I wasn't expecting this product to solve my hair thinning problems because that's a biological issue but I just wanted to feel like I was doing something good for my scalp, the hair I do have and all the new hair thats growing back. This product had the opposite effect.

For most expensive shampoos a little usually goes a long way. Not with this product, especially if you want your hair to feel clean. I always shampoo twice anyway but using normal amounts of this product will not leave your hair feeling clean. In fact, after using this, you can will notice a serious amount of residue left behind and its horrible. For some reason and this just might be my hair, it creates horrendous tangles in the top of my hair, especially at the front. The first time I used it I was like arrrrrggggg what the ..... I was thinking, I can't believe I just paid 60 euro to put this crap in my hair. I've used it 5 times now (yes I went back for more tangle torture). I wanted to give it a proper shot. Each time I got the same result, tangles and residue. Googling the product afterwards, something I really should have done before buying it, I found out that Nak products contain amodimethicone and PEG-12 dimethicone which are non water soluble silicones and cause major build up on your hair. This is so true for the Nak Revitalise Thickening Shampoo and Conditioner. I'm going to finish the bottle because I've paid for it but absolute won't be repurchasing.

The leave in treatment has been used once and I won't use it again. The nozzle doesn't work effectively with its end goal, to get to the roots. Instructions say to pump it into your palm and massage into the roots. Using this method you can barely manage to get any into the roots at all and lets face it, it's just going to be the 3rd layer of product sitting on your hair anyway.


One positive

When your hair is dry it does feel soft and you don't notice the build up as much.


Have you tried these products or is there another one you would recommend?




Kel x


No comments:

Post a Comment