Monday 10 June 2013

Holy Moley



So I am told that one rule of blogging is to always give a shout out to your blog inspiration. Today’s blog inspiration comes from the hilarious Karen over in @lovelygirlybits. Karen’s (and Joanne’s) YouTube videos are an absolute hoot! (while being very informative too, of course). Thanks to Karen, I finally (after 3 years) with matching bra and knickers, made an appointment to get my odd shaped mole checked out.

Here’s how the days events played out….

Do Do Do….’minding my own business’. Karen posted a video about skin care, which included a funny story about her visit to the hospital to have a mole checked. While I’m telling my pal in work about it, it dawned on me that I too have a dodgy mole that I needed to get a doctor to have a look at. I had it looked at before but never attended the follow up appointment.
All right, no big deal, I will be proactive and call the doc to arrange a new appointment. So I tell the receptionist what the appointment is for and that I was there about a year ago and would like to follow it up. Receptionist informs me that it was 2010 when I was last there. HOLY MOLEY.  She says she will get the doctor to ring me.
Meanwhile back in the ranch, I was on twitter and someone retweeted “Skin cancer fact: Melanoma is the deadliest skin cancer among 25-29 year olds.

Faster then a Lamborghini on the autobahn, I diagnosed myself with skin cancer. I kid you not. A TO Z in a matter of seconds. Panic set in and my hypo personality reared its ugly head. I phoned 4 mole clinics in Dublin but couldn’t get an appointment. “Wait ‘til next week, are you kidding me, I’m terminally ill”.  I managed to get an appointment with my own doc. T.G.  I hotfooted it up to the clinic to tell my doctor the bad news.
Brought the hubby with me to soak up the diagnosis….gulps

“Up on the bed please and we’ll have a look” … 30 seconds later, trousers up, chest pains deceasing and a clean bill of health.

It turns out mole is fine (although it had bled and changed shape – I don’t create illnesses, I am not that bad…yet!!). The other mysterious looking spots, which I diagnosed as ‘the spread of cancer’, turns out to be, Ehmmm, what was the medical term…. Freckles!

I was mortified but relieved.  Although I know that I was OTT, I have learned a valuable lesson, not to let these things go on..and on..and on. It just ain’t worth it in the long run. 
I don’t want this post to sound like I am making fun of cancer. I lost my mam to cancer a few years ago so I know how serious it is and how funny it is not. It's more of me making fun of myself.  It keeps me sane!!!

Kel x

1 comment:

  1. Glad you got the ok, I must go back for a further check up once I get some nice new undies :P Thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete